Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Bat Appreciation Week


     Why do we include bats on a bee website?  First, like bees, in some parts of North America bats are essential pollinators of specific desert plants.  More importantly bats can reduce the amount of needed pesticides by commercial farmers by consuming insects.  Reduced pesticide usage is important for optimum bee health.  The bee immune system is very weak and suffers from the presence of insecticides (Insecticides and Bees).  All bat populations are suffering now mostly due to habitat loss.  Go to batcon.org to learn more about bats and see what you can do to help them.  

2 comments:

  1. I think I have a bat living in a topiary on my front porch. As I was trying to unlock the door the other night, it flew out and scared the devil out of me. I'm not scared of it, I just wish it would mind its manners so I won't toss my keys when it flies out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You lucky guy. Unfortunately bats being fairly social means you probably have a lot more than one. On the positive side you won't have a mosquito problem and since they only fly at night they don't bother our bees.

    ReplyDelete

Recent Posts

Recent Posts Widget